2023 Sea Doo Spark Trixx heralding the changes to the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark. This is to be expected with the brand’s next pint-sized pocket rocket.
The 2023 Sea-Doo Spark is coming for a complete overhaul – and an option for a high-performance 130 horsepower, 1630cc three-cylinder model dubbed the Sea-Doo Spark X, according to a report in The Watercraft Journal.
If successful, it will be the most powerful engine mounted on the smallest and lightest aircraft on the Jet Ski market.
The second-generation Sea-Doo Spark series – the first major change since the model was introduced in 2014 – will launch in the second half of next year ahead of its 2023 showroom arrival.
2023 Sea Doo Spark Trixx Review
The Sea-Doo product turnaround time between all new models is typically nine years, meaning the next series of Sparks will be overhauled.
Based on sourced information from Kevin Shaw, editor-in-chief of The Watercraft Journal, the second-generation Sea-Doo Spark range is set to expand from the fun and affordable end of the market and push into the show arena.
The low-priced Sea-Doo Spark took the Jet Ski and personal watercraft industry by storm when it went on sale in 2014, introducing a new, more affordable price point.
In Australia, the Sea-Doo Spark started at less than $8000 and turned back the clock at a decade’s worth.
Since 2014, the Sea-Doo Spark has changed nothing but color and trim combinations with every model year – and even then, some of them went for several years between refreshes.
In 2018, the Sea-Doo Spark Trixx (pictured above) was added, with large step steps on the rear deck and adjustable trim on the jet pump nozzle that allows the aircraft to be driven on its tail – the equivalent of water on water. a “wheel.”
Due to launch in the second half of 2022 as a 2023 model year, Sea-Doo is expected to double its Spark and Spark Trixx ranges, with an all-new hull and deck design, and a wider choice of engine output.
READ NEXT: Exclusive! New 2023 Sea Doo Lineup Review
In his weekly live video chat that aired on August 30, 2021, The Watercraft Journal editor-in-chief Kevin Shaw told his audience he got the scoop on the Sea-Doo Spark and the 2023 Spark Trixx during a recent media briefing with the company about the year’s next new models.
After spending time with Sea-Doo’s head of marine product development Martin Lachance at a media event, Kevin Shaw teased viewers with some of the rumored changes.
“They cooked up something really wild with the Spark redesign,” said Kevin Shaw. “I have no dimensions… I don’t know what changes were made to the shape of the hull, but I know there was a redesign. Quote unquote, redesign from scratch.
In the YouTube video, Kevin Shaw went on to explain Sea-Doo had considered 900cc turbo power for the next-generation Spark performance variant, but this was ultimately ruled out due to heat and packaging concerns.
2023 Sea Doo Spark Trixx Performance
In contrast, Sea-Doo hinted that a larger 1630cc three-cylinder engine – with varying horsepower output – could be added to the next-generation Spark lineup.
There is also the possibility that the 1630cc three-cylinder engine could replace the 900cc three-cylinder engine fitted to the current Sea-Doo Spark series, which currently has outputs of 60hp and 90hp respectively.
The 900cc (top left) has four engine mounts while the 1630cc (top right) has three engine mounts, so production-wise it may make more sense to stick with one type of engine across the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark range.
Such a move means Sea-Doo’s entire range of personal watercraft can run on just one engine – both with and without supercharged power – but tuned to produce different outputs.
On the new Sea-Doo Switch series of pontoon boats (pictured below, not yet confirmed for sale in Australia), the 1630cc three-cylinder engine is available in various models with outputs of 100hp, 130hp, and 170hp. There is also a supercharged version of the Sea-Doo Switch with 230hp.
But back to the Sea-Doo Spark 2023, and how far Sea-Doo might be tempted to go with power in such a small plane.
During testing of a 2023 Sea-Doo Spark prototype equipped with a 1630cc engine, Sea-Doo engineers reported reaching 63mph (101kmh) with a heavy rider inside, Kevin Shaw told his audience.
However, he cautioned, the company will likely reduce the top speed on the pint-sized model Sea-Doo.
The most power currently offered in the “recreational lite” class of Jet Skis and personal watercraft is the 110hp, 1050cc three-cylinder on the Yamaha EXR/JetBlaster (the Yamaha EXR pictured above left, next to the Sea-Doo Spark Trixx).
The equivalent 2021 Sea-Doo Spark model currently has a peak output of 90hp from the factory.
As for powering the 1630cc engine to produce the 170hp version of the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark, Kevin Shaw said:
“Don’t expect the 63mph (101kmh), 170 horsepower Spark, it’s not going to happen. But the 130 horsepower (version)… very, very possible.”
READ NEXT: Exclusive! New 2023 Sea Doo Models Review
Kevin Shaw then helps his video audience join in even further. “If there was a 1630cc Spark with 130 horsepower, all it took was a phone call to (have tuners) reflash it to 170 horsepower, and now you have a 65mph (105km) Spark.”
The Sea-Doo Spark and Trixx 2023 ranges are likely to have larger, more user-friendly top decks, with more storage options – and possibly Sea-Doo’s proprietary Linq attachment system.
Watercraft Zone hopes the changes will allow for a larger instrument cluster (shown below, the small digital display on the current generation Sea-Doo Spark, with an optional detachable speaker).
We also expect a larger fuel tank on the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark range.
The Sea-Doo Spark currently has the smallest tank on the sit-down boat market at 30 liters, compared to 50 liters on the equivalent Yamaha EX, and 60 and 70-liter bladders on the larger Sea-Doo models. (Yamaha has a 70-liter tank in most of its model range, and the Kawasaki Jet Ski runs a 78-liter bladder).
The deck and hull on the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark model will likely be made of plastic – or what Sea-Doo calls “Polytec”.
It’s not yet clear whether the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark series will continue with the first-generation Polytec which debuted with the current-gen Spark series in 2014.
Or if the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark series will adopt Polytec 2 – as used on the high-performance, supercharged Sea-Doo GTR 230, for example (pictured above) – which embeds strips of fiberglass in the high-pressure sections of the hull.
At the very least, it appears that Sea-Doo is preparing to offer 100hp and 130hp variants of the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark series, perhaps in part to offset the slight increase in weight due to the model’s expected accelerated growth.
According to The Watercraft Journal, Sea-Doo predicts that Yamaha will release a high-output version of its EXR model with a potential 130hp in the future, so Sea-Doo embarks on a mission to bring more power to future versions of its most affordable boats.
Instead, Yamaha discontinued the EXR for 2022 and reconfigured the platform with step wedges and adjustable jet pump nozzles – and renamed it the JetBlaster (pictured above), to bring its philosophy closer to the Sea-Doo Spark Trixx action machine.
In other words, Sea-Doo zig when Yamaha zig. Either way, Jet Ski fans are the winner here, spoiled for choice as PWC’s two biggest brands vie for market share.
As it stands, we won’t know for sure what the 2023 Sea-Doo Spark will look like or what its power will be until about 12 months from now, when the company officially opens the lid on the full model lineup.
Kevin Shaw’s summary is the best insight we have so far. Watch the full video here or check out the link below, and find out for yourself what Sea-Doo could come up with for the next generation of the Spark series.
2023 Sea Doo Spark Trixx Specs
- Manufacturer: Sea-Doo
- Model: Spark Trixx 3 to Manta Green
- Year: 2023
- Type: Lite Rec
- Machine: 90
- Type: 900 Ace™- 90
- Engine Horsepower: 90 Hp
- Engine Intake System: Naturally Aspirated
- Cylinders & Displacement: 899 cc
- Engine Cooling: Closed Loop Cooling System (click)
- Machine Turning System: Ibr®* Electronics
- Engine Fuel Type: 87 octane
- Engine Throttle System: Itc™ System (Intelligent Throttle Control).
- Engine Exhaust System: D-sea-bei™ system
- Rider Capacity: 3
- Weight Capacity: 205 Kg / 450 Lb
- Fuel Capacity: 30 L / 7.9 Us Gal
- Glove Box Storage Capacity: 1.6 L / 0.42 Us Gal
- Front Bin Storage Capacity: 27 L / 7 Us Gal (accessory)
- Vehicle Length: 305Cm / 120″
- Vehicle Width: 118Cm / 46.4″
- Vehicle Height: 107Cm / 42.1″
- Dry Weight: 199 Kg / 439 Lb
- Hull Type: Spark® Hull
- Hull Material: Polytech™
- Gauge Type: Compact
- Measuring Main Function: Speedometer rpm vts™ clock vehicle sports mode
- Guarantee: Brp Limited Warranty Covers The Boat For One Year.
READ NEXT: New 2023 Sea Doo Switch Power Boats Inboard Review
2023 Sea Doo Spark Trixx Features
- Handlebars With Adjustable Risers
- ibr® – Intelligent Brake & Reverse
- extended range
- vts™ (Variable Trim System)
- Step Wedges
- brp Audio-portable System (optional)
- Slim Seat
- rf Dess™ Key
- linq® Attachment System (accessory)
- wet grip Footboard
- Knee Pads
- handle grip With Palm Rest
- hook rope
- crane stand
New Sea Doo Spark Trixx 2023
- EXTENDED RANGE VTS
- BETTER TRICK, AT YOUR COMMANDS: Extended Range VTS – Sea-Doo’s exclusive extended-range Variable Trim System lets you exaggerate how high you can lift your nose or how deep you can bury it in the water. This means pulling off tricks has never been easier, or more fun.
- BODY TYPE: Spark® hull
- BODY MATERIAL: Polytec™
Handlebar with adjustable riser, RF DESS™ lock, Wet Grip Footbed, Knee pads, Handlebars with Armrests, Tow Hook
- ADJUSTABLE RISER: Get your grip – Adjusting the steering lets you tailor the experience to your personal riding style. Multiple positions give you more leverage to maneuver the boat easily regardless of water conditions.
- SPARK HULL: Lightweight, high-strength polytec hull – Not only does the Spark hull create an incredibly fun ride, but the tough Polytec material also reduces weight for peak performance and efficiency, and makes it easy to tow with most cars. Plus, the colored prints make it more scratch-resistant, cheaper, and easier to repair than fiberglass.
- SMART BRAKE AND REVERSE: Stop faster and dock easily Exclusive to the Sea-Doo, the iBR system lets you stop faster for peace of mind and offers more control and maneuverability. *Based on internal BRP testing with models without iBR.
- ROTAX® MACHINE
- HIGH-OCTANE FUN: Rotax® 900 ACE™ Engine with Sport Mode – The Rotax® 900 ACE™ delivers 90 HP of high sensitivity into the water. It also offers Sport Mode for ultra-responsive control and best-in-class performance.
- STEP WEDGE
- TAKE A STAND: Step wedges – Step wedges provide more stability and confidence in a variety of stand-up riding positions. Makes it easier to do tricks like a pro.
Sea Doo Spark Trixx Trixx Spark Package
Play like never before. Whip, dip, spin, and wheelie with ease thanks to the unique handling features that will add excitement to any sandbar party. This is the most interesting journey on the water.
Sea Doo Spark Trixx High-octane fun
Rotax® 900 ACE™ Machine with Sport Mode
The Rotax® 900 ACE™ delivers a 90 HP high sensation into the water. It also offers Sport Mode for ultra-responsive control and best-in-class performance.
2023 Sea Doo Spark Trixx Price
Starting at $8,199 MSRP on entry packs, transportation and setup fees may vary by choice.
A commodity surcharge starting at $465 will apply.